Lake Cruises - TSS Earnslaw Steamship
Lake Cruises - TSS Earnslaw Steamship
Affectionately known as the 'Lady of the Lake', the TSS Earnslaw has a special place in the hearts of Queenstown people. She has been transporting goods to remote settlements and conveying passengers on beautiful Lake Wakatipu since 1912. What better way to view the magnificent scenery than by taking a cruise on board the TSS Earnslaw vintage steamship.
Step aboard, watch the stokers fuelling the fireboxes and hear the sound of the steam engines working as the TSS Earnslaw takes you on a nostalgic cruise of beautiful Lake Wakatipu. Every cruise allows you plenty of time to explore the TSS Earnslaw's decks and bridge, view the engine room and historic displays in the Gallery and join a sing-along with the ship's pianist.
Cruises depart regularly throughout the day. You have the choice of a cruise by itself, or it can be combined with a visit to Walter Peak High Country Farm for a guided farm visit, barbecue lunch or evening buffet dining.
Enjoy high country hospitality and a carvery style buffet, featuring the best of local and New Zealand meats and seafood, along with fresh vegetables and garden salads. You will find the desserts hard to resist, especially the creamy pavlova!
An entertaining after dinner farm show provides a glimpse into high country farming life.
Then on your return cruise to Queenstown on the TSS Earnslaw, relax with a drink from the bar or join a fun sing-along with the ship's pianist.
Bread rolls with herb and garlic butter.
Poached or smoked Akaroa salmon, steamed greenlip mussels, seafood salad, selection of cured and smoked cold cuts, with gourmet pickled vegetables, garden fresh salads and a selection of dressings.
Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, roast lamb, lamb shanks in a rosemary and garlic sauce, Mt Nicholas venison hotpot, chicken dish of the day, seasonal selection of seafood, vegetarian casserole, steamed rice, gourmet potatoes and garden fresh vegetables.
Fresh fruit salad with cream, homemade apple crumble and vanilla custard, warm pudding of the day, traditional pavalova with a fruit coulis, Walter Peak’s rich chocolate cake, ginger creamed chocolate éclairs and lemon meringue pie.
New Zealand cheeseboard selection.
Freshly brewed coffee and tea.
Farm and BBQ lunch Excursion
Combine a lake cruise and a guided farm visit with a tasty barbecue lunch.
Relax on the lakeside terrace or inside the Colonel's Homestead and savour the enticing aromas as the barbecue is freshly prepared and served. Fresh salads and crusty bread perfectly complement the food sizzling on the grill.
Before or after lunch, there is ample time for you to see the farm animals and to join in the farmyard walking tour where a farm host will regale you with humorous anecdotes of rural life.
Meat lovers will delight in the locally sourced grilled fish, juicy beef steaks, succulent pork, lamb chops, pork spare ribs and chicken drumsticks. And vegetarians are well catered for with an enticing selection of seasonal salads, roast vegetables and vegetarian dish of the day.
For added adventure following your TSS Earnslaw cruise, explore Walter Peak High Country Farm the traditional way – by horseback. Our experienced guides will take you across rolling farm terraces to a lookout with spectacular views of Lake Wakatipu and the surrounding mountains. The riding is easy and suitable for inexperienced riders (40 mins trek). After returning to the stables, enjoy a traditional morning or afternoon tea at the Colonel’s Homestead.
Book 2 or more Real Journeys experiences & receive the Real Journeys 20% Multi Purchase Discount
- All options include a return cruise to Walter Peak (45 minutes each way)
- Evening Dining & BBQ lunch options include meals
- Cruise only - 1.5 hours
- Cruise & Farm Tour - 3.5 hours
- Cruise Farm Tour & BBQ - 3.5 hours
- Cruise & Evening Dining - 3.5 hours
- Cruise & Horse Trek - 3.5 hours
- Cruise only - 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm & 6pm
- Cruise & Farm Tour - 10am, 12pm & 2pm
- Cruise Farm Tour & BBQ - 10am & 12pm
- Cruise & Evening Dining - 6pm (does not operate June or July)
- Cruise & Horse Trek - 10am, 12pm & 2pm (Nov - Mar only)
- All departures include a 1 hr 30 minute cruise across Lake Wakatipu to Walter Peak High Country Farm
- On the 'cruise only' option passengers do not disembark at Walter Peak
- Child is 5 -14 years (4yrs & under are free)
- Horse Trekking only operates during summer months (Nov - Mar). Minimum age is 8 years old
- The Earnslaw is on annual survey during June (during this period a launch will subsitute for day tours)
- Customers booking the Farm Tour also receive morning or afternoon tea
- Guided Cycling tour available at Walter Peak (must be prebooked)
- Book 2 or more Real Journeys experiences & receive the Real Journeys 20% Multi Purchase Discount