Horse Riding - Dart Stables
Horse Riding - Dart Stables
Dart Stables variety of horses ensure all riding abilities are catered for. Whether you're a complete beginner or lifetime rider, our professional, dedicated, horse loving team will match you with a suitable mount. Leading you across rivers, along valleys and through tranquil beech forests, our enthusiastic guides guarantee an unforgettable riding experience.
There are 4 main tours:
The 2 Hour River Wild
The beautiful 2 hour ride along the river flats, crossing the Rees and Dart Rivers at the Head of Lake Wakatipu. This ride is suitable for all ages, riding abilities and fitness.
The Ride of the Rings
Be transported to Middle Earth astride your own steed! Drive the shores of Lake Wakatipu passing Ithilien and stopping en-route to marvel at the Misty Mountains. Your 1 and a half hour horse ride begins from Paradise, winding through the golden woods of Lothlorien, passing Amon Hen, then the track opens up into the “Golden Mile”. From here the views over Isengard, the Wizards Vale and the mighty peaks of Methedras are breathtaking. This is probably the most scenic horse ride in the world, and the ride of the lifetime for “Lord of the Rings” fans. It is a slower paced ride, suitable for beginner riders.
The "River and Rings"
This is a fantastic alternative for those who are not experienced enough to do the Trilogy Loop but would like to do a bit more than half a day riding. This combines our two great rides in one day. Combine the River Wild and The Ride of the Rings in one day, with time in between to enjoy Glenorchy’s township (does not include lunch).
The Trilogy Loop (for experienced riders only)
Follow the trail of Saruman’s army as they departed Isengard on this epic 3 - 3½ hour ride. With breathtaking views of The Misty Mountains, Wizards Vale and the Mighty Methedras, the Trilogy Loop encompasses both the Rees and Dart River Valleys.
There are several river crossings and magnificent views towards the head of Lake Wakatipu with plenty of opportunities for some faster paced riding. This ride is only suitable for those who have ridden at least 100 times before and are extremely comfortable on a horse.
- Optional Return transfers from central Queenstown or drive yourself
- Guided horse ride
- Wet weather gear provided
- Allow 5 hours (including transfers from Queenstown)
- Allow 8 hours for the River and Rings
- 8.15am and 1.30pm from Queenstown
- River and Rings departs at 8.15am
- Departs from central Queenstown or self drive to Glenorchy (45 minutes drive)
- Operates daily all year
- Experienced riders please note that the 'Ride of the Rings' is slow paced with no trotting or cantering
- The Trilogy Loop is for experienced riders only who have ridden at least 100 times
- Max weight is 95kg
- Minimum age is 5 years (child must be confident)
- Wear sturdy footwear & long trousers
- Bring a camera & sunglasses
- Small groups with max client to guide ratio of 5:1
- Hotel pick up included or you can self drive to Glenorchy (45mins from Queenstown)