Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Jet boat - Skippers Canyon Jet & 4wd
Jet boat - Skippers Canyon Jet & 4wd
Race through an imposing canyon stacked high with dramatic rock and hold your breath as your driver navigates past towering canyon walls and precipitous cliff faces. Feel your heart pounding in your ears as you careen down the shallow waters of the Shotover River at high speeds and experience thrilling Hamilton spins, otherwise known as jet spins.
Skippers Canyon adventures in Queenstown is the only company with permission to operate jet boat rides in the world renowned Skippers Canyon. Even before the jetboat ride starts, you’ll have a great time travelling from Queenstown down the Skippers Canyon Road, which is made out of schist rock and takes you through some of New Zealand’s most awe inspiring scenery.
See Lord of the Rings filming locations in real life and discover some of the engineering marvels performed by the pioneers of the region during the mining era. Find out through commentary provided by your knowledgeable driver about the fascinating past of the various mining relics lying on the Shotover riverbank.
The iconic big blue jet boats used by Skippers Canyon are customised to navigate the Upper Shotover River with safety and ease. Made using the strongest heavy gauge aluminium, the boats are not only tough but extremely manoeuvrable.
The “Big Blue” jet boats run on Chevrolet v8 engines capable of 450 horsepower that use high-octane aviation fuel. The boat’s mighty thrust comes courtesy of the Hamilton Jet 212 jet unit, which can pump an astounding 25,000 litres of water per minute.
Skippers Gold Experience
If you’d like to combine your jetboat adventure with a 4wd drive that will take you into Skippers and which includes gold panning you have the option of an upgrade that also includes a trip to Winky’s Museum and a visit to the magnificent Pipeline suspension bridge and light refreshments.
- Return transfers from central Queenstown
- Transport into Skippers Canyon from Queenstown with amazing canyon views (45 min each way)
- The thrill seeking Jet boat adventure ride powering up & down the Shotover River through narrow canyons (30 min)
- Gold mining history, Lord of the Rings locations & spectacular scenery
- Gold panning & light refreshments (Skippers Gold Experience only)
- 30 minute jetboat ride
- Allow 3 hours from Queenstown including 4wd trip each way
- Allow 4.5 hours for Skippers Gold Experience
- Skippers Jet - 9am & 1pm during winter (May - Sept)
- Skippers Jet - 8.30am, 12pm & 3.30pm during summer (Oct - Apr)
- Skippers Gold - 9am & 1pm during winter
- Skippers Gold - 8am & 1pm during summer
- Pick up from outside the Station Building, central Queenstown
- Child rates available (3-15 yrs)
- Family deal available (2nd child goes free)
- Dress warmly, sunglasses are recommended
- Spray jackets are provided on request to help keep you dry
- Not suitable for pregnant women
- Upgrade to the Skippers Gold Experience which includes a 4wd ride into Skippers, a visit to Winky's gold mining museum and the 102 m high Pipeline suspension bridge
Prices & Options
- adult NZD$145.00
- child (3-15yrs) NZD$85.00
- family (2ad+1ch) NZD$290.00
Skippers Gold Experience:
- adult NZD$195.00
- child (3-15yrs) NZD$115.00
- family (2ad+1ch) NZD$390.00
Genuine Customer Reviews powered by
Service rating: excellent
I received my ticket immediately. Alex on live chat extremely helpful. They checked availability for me as it was a last minute booking and reserved space whilst I made the booking online.
Product rating: excellent
The tour was awesome fun and the guides were amazing.
Everything Travel Group Review
This definitely gets my tick of approval. Racing through the world famous Skippers Canyons via jet boat is a truly unique way to feel embraced by the beauty of Lord of the Rings territory and miners history. Reaching speeds of up to 80km/hr, make sure you hold on tight while your driver navigates the cliff faces and then swings the boat into a 360 degree spin known as a Hamilton jet spin. Not to mention the 4WD tour getting to the boat, the Skippers Canyon Jet Boat sure does get the adrenalin pumping.
Latest Questions about Jet boat - Skippers Canyon Jet & 4wd
Our son is 2 years and 8 months. Is he allowed on jet boat and if so how much?
Can you tell me the duration of this tour from pick up at accom & return as we have limited time.
I was just wondering is the do u need to purchase the
Gold tour ticket to see The Lord of the rings or is that
Included in the standard one.
Does the $129 Price includes the 4wd?
Can you please confirm what the $129 price includes?? Does it only include the transfer fro m Queenstown to destination and jet ride?
Can I take my own GoPro on the Skippers Jet?
Will there be photos and/or video available for purchase of the Skippers Gold Experience package?
How long does the actual journey down this dangerous road take? I really want to do this, but am more than just a little bit scared...Is there any other way to get to the bottom of the canyon?
What does the Skipper's Canypn Gold include?
would it be ok for our 2 1/2 year old to join us adults on this jet boat adventure? If not, can the three of us take the organized trip from Queenstown to the canyon, and only one adult takes the skipper boat ride while the other one stays on land with our toddler? Thanks for the info, Gitta
Can I book the above and give you the details of my accommodation for pick up later?
96% of new customers that used Everything Queenstown to provide advice and securely book their Queenstown activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.