Easy to book - Secure Online Payments - Instant email confirmation - Flexible to make changes
Snowshoeing - Guided Nature Walks
Snowshoeing - Guided Nature Walks
Experience the tranquility of Queenstown’s overwhelmingly beautiful back country on snowshoes! You have the option of the half day Snowshoeing Discovery and the full day Snowshoeing Adventure.
Snowshoeing enables you to explore the incredible mountains and the tranquility of Queenstown’s natural environment without having to walk on trails even when the snow is extremely deep. Experience the peace of nature in a completely new way.
Snowshoeing gives you the ability to walk in unbroken snow without fear of sinking in waist-deep, making it much easier to explore the wilds.
Snowshoeing in Queenstown enables you to experience the unparalleled peace of Queenstown’s wild mountain frontier. Whether you are an avid skiier or a non-skiier, this is a great chance to explore the Winter Mountains of Queenstown, New Zealand far from the crowds of ski resorts.
What is Snowshoeing?
Snowshoeing involves walking in the snow aided by snowshoes, which have been used for centuries by people who live in areas that see heavy snowfall. The snowshoes in use in the present day are derived from those of old, and do a great job of curbing sinking even in the deepest, softest snow, and improving grip in snow that is icy or hard. Almost any boot size can be accommodated by snowshoes and they are extremely easy to use. Most people are up and running in about ten minutes after getting fitted.
Who Can Do It?
Everyone and anyone can shoeshoe. Snowshoeing can be adjusted to the level of difficulty you desire, just like summer hiking. Group sizes are kept small and a flexible attitude is taken so that all preferences can be catered to. Snowshoeing is ideal for anyone who’s looking for a non-technical activity that doesn’t require special instruction or hours of practice, unlike skiing for instance, but still enables exploration of an environment that even skiiers will be hard-pressed to access.
Can I Go Snowshoeing? How Fit do I Need To Be?
So long as you can walk, you can snowshoe! People of all ages, abilities and levels of fitness can snowshoe, and travelling in small groups means that the trip can be tailored to your preferences, whether in terms of distance, speed or terrain. Exploring the jaw-dropping mountains, most of the time far away from the commotion at the chief ski sites, will be a treat for anyone who hankers after wide, uninterrupted spaces, crisp, fresh air and the beauty of nature. Reluctant skiiers or those who are looking for a dose of peaceful exploration on a ski trip will relish the experience of snowshoeing.
- Return transfers from your Queenstown accommodation
- Snow shoes & poles
- Snow play includes tea/coffee & cookies
- Snow Adventure includes lunch, tea/coffee & cookies
- Cheerful, friendly & knowledgeable local guides
- Interpretative commentary of flora, fauna, history & geology
- Half Day Snowshoeing Snow Play - allow 4 hours (2 - 3 hours snowshoeing)
- Three Quarter Day Snowshoeing Adventure- allow 6 hours (3 - 5 hours snowshoeing)
- Half Day - 8am & 1.30pm
- Three Quarter Day - 8.30am
- Pick up from your hotel or central Queenstown
- Operates during winter months only (June - October)
- A reasonable level of fitness will ensure an enjoyable walk. Snow Adventure includes 4km walk with some uphll
- Please bring SUNGLASSES, warm/sun hat, waterproof/windproof jacket, warm clothing for changeable weather, small daypack, gloves, warm socks and sturdy (preferably waterproof) winter footwear
- Remember to bring your camera & a smile
- LAYERS! To stay warm and ready for all winter weather conditions it is important to bring several layers of clothing. This allows you to remove & add layers as you warm up or cool down. Wool or synthetic clothing like fleece & polypropylene are great for base & warm layers. If possible, avoid cotton clothing as when cotton gets wet (from sweat & weather) it stays wet & gets heavy & cold
- Children are welcome however they must be old enough & have the fitness to walk for several hours
- Snowshoeing is dependent on snow so the season can start as early as May & finish as late as October if the conditions allow
Prices & Options
- Snow Play NZD$189.00
- Snow Adventure NZD$199.00
Child (under 14yrs):
- Snow Play NZD$99.00
- Snow Adventure NZD$149.00
Latest Questions about Snowshoeing - Guided Nature Walks
We have a child who is 3 years old. Can we still snow s<em>%^#</em> if she is carried in a hiking back pack
Can this be done on summer? More exactly first week of Febraury
Hi..I will be traveling with family group and will have a 5 yr old child and my mother who is reasonably fit but sometimes limited by osteoarthritis on walking up steps. Would the trail be suitable for them? Cheers
96% of new customers that used Everything Queenstown to provide advice and securely book their Queenstown activities have let us know they've had a good or excellent experience with us. Thank you.